The Ultimate E-Learning Machine
At Artisan E-Learning, several of us recently bought new laptops for our work. We’ve been asked by contractors, friends, and family to share our recommendations, so I thought I would share them here. It might be helpful for anyone looking at buying a new computer to know what we looked for.
We came up with some minimum standards to do the type of multimedia e-learning work that we do (the least you need to keep yourself from wanting to throw your computer out the window). You can find computers that meet our minimum standards fairly easily. But because we wanted something that would have top-of-the-line performance and longer life, we chose to go over and above the minimums. After each of the minimums below are the specifications of the computers we chose.
- Minimum Hard Drive: 500 GB
- We chose a computer with a 1 TB hard drive for lots of storage space.
- We also use a cloud-based storage system synced to our computers for storage and collaboration.
- Minimum RAM: 4 GB
- We chose a computer with 8 GB of system memory for advanced multitasking.
- Minimum Processor: Intel i5
- We chose computers with 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4500U mobile processors.
- Dedicated memory for graphics
- The computer we found included 2 GB of dedicated video/graphics memory.
After these specifications, most other items are bells and whistles. We chose computers with the following other features:
- Full HD touch-screen
- Long Battery Life – rated up to 4 hours and 35 minutes (great for travel and working away from the office)
- Backlit keyboard (perfect for when you’re burning the midnight oil!)
- Windows 8 operating system (there is a learning curve – we found this article to be helpful!)
When all was said and done, we chose an Asus 15.6” laptop. You can see more information about the computer we chose here. So far, we’re very happy with our choice!